Tuesday, June 28, 2016

RIP Lucky



This has nothing to do with investing but I wanted to remember this date for the rest of my life. On Monday, June 27, 2016, I put down my dog, Lucky. 

He was a 13 and a half year old yellow lab. On November of 2015, it was discovered that he had cancer in his colon and was throwing up everything he ate. His colon was removed and he looked back to normal for December and January. In February he stopped eating or was eating very little. I took him back to the doctor and was told it was the cancer after effect. Just keep feeding him. All test came back negative.

From February til yesterday he started deteriorating. He literally became skin and bone. When he walked his front legs would walk forward but his hind legs would sway causing him to fall. He couldn't bend down to eat but basically laid on the flood while sweeping his head back and forth catching anything in his way. I had to feed him to make sure he didn't starve or die of thirst. It was the saddest thing I've ever seen. 

It was so painful to see him fall constantly. His bones cracked whenever he walked. His days composed of sleeping next to the AC, sweeping his head to eat, and being helped walk to go to the restroom.

So here's to you Lucky. I hope i gave you a good life, gave you plenty of good food, and i hope you enjoyed digging up all my plants and pooping on the entire backyard. 

My biggest regrets are not being rich enough to buy that farm I promised you. 5 acres all the property you can run on and chase whatever you wanted. all the trees you can chew on. I also regret working so much that I neglected spending more time with you. I always bought you treats and pet you/hug you whenever i had the chance but so much could have been done. I wish I had more pictures of you. The only pictures I have are when you went to the doctor. You probably hate me. the only time i took you places was the vet.

I hope the last meals of steak, fried chicken, and beer was to your satisfactions.

Maybe we'll see each other in our next lives. According to Buddhists the dog is the last stage of becoming human. Maybe I'll be the dog and you'll be my master. 

Don't worry Lucky. You're my first and probably last dog. Go to the light, don't worry about us, and we'll see each other again.

I've never noticed how empty a house is without a dog or the sense of protection you get with someone watching your back 24/7.

2 comments:

  1. It's tough to lose a pet that's been in the family so long. There's a reason they call them mans best friend. Loving, loyal and part of the family. Best wishes and RIP Lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry to hear this.
    When I was a kid, we had a dog named Lucky and I still remember the day when he died.
    D4s

    ReplyDelete