Monday, August 29, 2016

Recent Sell: Realty Income (O)

On Monday, August 29, 2016, I sold 23 shares of Realty Income (O) at $66.00 per share for a total of $1510.97 after fees. I made a profit of 44% overall. 

As stated in my previous posts I rather buy and hold a stock forever, however, I will sell if certain conditions are met. One of my parents just went through major surgery and was stuck with a $6,500 deductible which I just paid off today. I could have gone with a $500 monthly payment but I have a superstition that bills attract bills. If you don'r get rid of the first more will follow.

Total forward dividends stand at $3,313.11 a $50 decreased. I'll buy O back when I get more cash and the price drops a bit.

September will probably be a quiet month in terms of buys. I still have 10 grand in my safety net but I rather not use if I don't have to. That's for extreme emergencies like layoffs, unplanned family emergencies, irs, etc.

Disclaimer: Don't follow my advice. And of course O goes up after I sell it...

4 comments:

  1. Bless your heart! I hope O falls to a level where you could buy shares at a significant discount!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kudos on helping out your parents! Hope all goes well. The REIT sector has shot up so much recently (along with utilities) that I wouldn't be surprised to see more selling here. You just may be able to get in at a lower price later this year.

    Looks like your in a similar situation as me as I just sold my stake in Realty Income to pay off my mortgage and now I have some car expenses as well so I'm a bit tapped on cash temporarily.

    Thanks for the update,
    CD

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you did is a wonderful thing. People *should* follow you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reasoning behind the sale is awesome and it doesn't hurt that O is pretty richly valued. I'm sure you'll get an opportunity to add O back to your portfolio at a better valuation. It'll be interesting to see how REITs trade moving forward now that they've been broken out from the financial sector.

    ReplyDelete