Tuesday, June 13, 2017

What woke me to Dividend Investing

As I grow older I am starting to realize two things
  1. My memory is starting to disintegrate. I'm starting to lose what I used to do or people I've known my entire life.
  2. I suffer from some form of autism. I can't sit still or read an entire book without taking a break or giving up after 30 minutes. 
Instead of trying to fight my brain I decided to start documenting stuff on my blog.

Today's entry: When I started dividend investing.

I was the summer of 2013 or 2014 (I forgot), I was working my normal shift of
  1. Monday: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
  2. Tuesday: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
  3. Wednesday: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
  4. Thursday: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
  5. Friday: 6:00 am-8:00 pm
  6. Saturday: 6:00 am-6:00 pm
Back then I was 30 or 31 making 50k a year (which was the most money i've ever made), but I was struggling with life. Day in day out going to the grind. Work, make money, spend money, etc. I used to watch house hunters just to hate the people on there for having that much cash.  During Spring of 2013 or 2014, I was assigned to a DC detail to help install computers, routers and switches for a new government building. Work was five days a week 8am-5pm. When I was ordered back my supervisor at the time asked why I wasn't putting in my 6-8 and if I really wanted my job. At that point something inside me snapped. I got home, got drunk, i remember breaking my radio, and started googling how to kill my boss. 

Somehow or another I came to the Dividend Growth Investor webpage, then Dividend Mantra, then Divhut, then Divgro, Afrugal family's journey, etc. As I was half drunk I copied all these links and sent it to my email. So yes I started learning how to invest by being drunk and unable to comprehend what I was reading.

After a month of hesitation I bought my first share of Coca Cola (KO). And I've been on that journey since. I've made a bunch of mistakes and done things I've regretted deeply. I'm still learning from you bloggers and am always willing to learn from others.  Even if I don't write anything on your board know that I am lurking all your buys.  I'm still working those crazy hours but now I get saturdays off. I'm getting paid 80k instead of 50 and I'm in my mid 30s with a portfolio near 250k. I'm behind many bloggers in term of pay/wealth but I learned over the years that I can't race with other people. I can only jog at my own pace and hope I get there in time. That's all I have to say.

Craziest thing I've done for dividend investing
My company finally gave me Saturdays off. With that new found freedom I took a job at Walmart working 10 am-7pm on weekends. Why do you ask? So I can buy walmart start at 15% discount. Since this walmart is new they will hire anyone. I have a feeling they will someday fire me for a full time staff so I'll move on. I heard McDonalds hire weekend part-time and also have the employee stock purchase plan

Tallies of time I left writing this post-5x

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting journey, well done to you. hard work pays off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey BHL, thanks for visiting. Now i think I know why people write dairies. we forget a lot of stuff don't we

      Delete
  2. I admire the motivation and the hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the mention. I love the candid honesty in your post! Glad to hear you stumbled across our blog (albiet drunk lol). Drunk or not, I have to say you picked a nice foundation and first stock investment in Coca Cola. Congrats on the progress in your pay and dividend stocks portfolio!

    Wishing you nothing but continued success on your personal finance journey! AFFJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog and am rooting for you. I am around the same age and income as you and can feel your pain. Its definitely a marathon, not a sprint. Keep up the good fight! You are an inspiration

    ReplyDelete